Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Camping We Shall Go..

It is that time of the year for one of the team's more valued traditions -- our annual camping trip. I started this event a few years ago to share my love of the outdoors with my team. In doing so, everyone on the team has  realized what a great opportunity the trip is get to know each other and hang out without the distractions of cell phones, computers, TV, etc.

In past years we have gone on a decent backpacking trip into a wilderness area for our overnight. This year everyone was so pressed for time we decided a car camping trip would be the way to go. I'm pretty familiar with the Blue Mountains outside of Walla Walla and thought Mottet campground would be an ideal spot. Its only about an hour drive (probably only 20 miles as the crow flies) from campus, pretty easy to get to, had running water, and would probably be empty.

We arrived at the campground about 2pm Saturday and sure enough the campground was basically empty and we our choice of places to throw our tents. Once the tents were set up the guys hiked down the rough fork trail to the head waters of the South Fork of the Walla Walla. It's about 4 miles hike (each way) into a pretty steep canyon. While the team was hiking my daughter Anna (8 years old) and myself set up our camp and started cooking dinner. For dinner I prepared a think, hearty, three bean chili in my large dutch oven. After 3 hours of simmering in the cast iron dinner I used a smaller dutch oven to make fresh corn bread. Honestly the chili and cornbread turned out better than I could have hoped -- actually I'm always a bit surprised when I cook something that turns out well!

The chili was a perfect choice for dinner as the temp. really dropped and it got a bit chilly once the sun went down. Certainly the coldest evening I have had in a while and I would venture it dropped into the high 30's that night.

Once the chili was all but destroyed (I'm always surprised by how much college guys can eat) it was time for S'mores! Nothing like a hot fire roasted marshmallow and chocolate to wrap up a dinner. My daughter was heaven - not only was she camping with dad, hanging with the tennis team (2 of her favorite things to do) but she got to stuff herself with S'mores! After chatting around the fire for a couple hours everyone turned in about 9pm. 


In the morning I fired up coals to make dutch oven for a breakfast that included 36 eggs, sausage, bacon, ham, potatoes, green onions, onions and mushrooms -- I actually used 2 ovens to make one breakfast without pork. Unfortunately we couldn't stay around the camp for too long since people had to return to campus and the reality of being a student.

Pictures of the trip can be found on my flickr page.

No comments: