Monday, March 14, 2011

Ah the ups and downs of tennis

Tennis certainly has its ups and downs. On Saturday we defeated the #9 team in the nation and today we lost to a lower ranked UT Tyler 3-6. As a team we knew the importance of the match today -- winning would lock us in as one of the top teams in the West. I don't feel like we had a let down but rather got out played by a feisty UT Tyler team.

In doubles two of the three team teams came out firing. I don't have the scores in front me but I think we won at #1 and #3 by identical 8-4 scores. Unfortunately #2 doubles had their worst match of the year losing 1-8. Still going up 2-1 after doubles certainly put us in the driver seat.

In singles Tyler was simply too tough for us. Not sure how else to say it but we didn't perform like we would like to in clutch situations. For the most part we didn't play poorly, but rather didn't play well at certain times of the matches. We lost three three-set matches and one match 7-6, 7-6. However this is exactly why we take a spring break trip: the opportunity to play good teams which not only makes us better players but a tighter team. Honestly in all of my years coaching this is one of my favorite teams (sorry alums). They have pushed each other all year to get better, incredibly supportive of each other, and a blast to be around. I'm sure today's experience will make us a better team down the road.

Here are the singles scores (again I don't have my score book in front of me so its a bit of a guess).
1. Conor lost 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
2. Andrew lost 3-6, 7-6, 6-4 (Andrew was up a break 5-3 in the 3rd, but then down 0-4 in the 3rd).
3. ET won 6-4, 6-1
4. Jeff lost 6-1, 6-1
5. Chris lost 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Adriel lost 7-6, 7-6

Tonight promises to be especially entertaining for the team as we came by 14 tickets to the Laker game!

Tomorrow we play Bowdoin 10am at the CMS courts.

No comments: