Friday, February 18, 2011

Incredible News!

Let me start off this post by stating what Whitman has meant to me. I came to Whitman in the fall of 1984 not knowing what to expect in college. As a first generation college student (my parents were the first in their family to finish high school) the concept of college was very foreign. For me Whitman College was an unbelievably powerful experience -- I am who I am today because of my Whitman experience. Plus I met my lovely wife at Whitman!

I was absolutely thrilled to return to Whitman as men's tennis coach (I was working as a DI coach). Those that have played for me the past 12 years know my passion for Whitman and the tennis team. One of my life/career goals has been to establish a endowment for the men's tennis team.

Today I'm so incredibly proud and humble to announce a gift was made to the College by my teammate Benson Porter ('86) to establish the Jeff Northam Men's Tennis Endowment. Without a doubt the establishment of this endowment is the most powerful experience in my professional life. When I first heard of the creation of the endowment I was absolutely floored and spent a good 30 minutes crying.

The establishment of this endowment will help ensure future generations of Whitman tennis players will receive a top notch experience. Expect an official announcement from the college in the coming weeks.

No comments: