Thursday, February 3, 2011

Update from Ben Marcus

Another one for the alumni. I just got a rather nice update from Ben Marcus '92 (I think) that I thought I would repost.
_____________________

I would love nothing more than to be able to come to one of these alumni functions! I should have said this a long time ago, but I am so impressed and proud of the program you are running. Having coached (at a much lesser level) for close to twenty years now, I can fully appreciate the strength of what you now have going both academically and athletically. And, I love reading the detailed reports from the season. Our team was so much less competitive than what you have going now, but we still managed to win a conference doubles title my senior year--and considering our lack of training and facilities in comparison, we did alright. I know you were part of a very, very good team right before my class came in, so had a very different experience.

After teaching tennis, then teaching high school and coaching teams in Arizona since college, I've now been living in Switzerland for the last two and half years, teaching middle school social studies at Zurich International School and coaching the middle school tennis team (boys and girls). My wife, Vanessa, and I now have a 16 month old son, Jack, who was born in 2009 on my birthday Sept. 27--pretty cool.

We are really enjoying life over here, and my tennis team road trips even take us to other countries, which is kind of cool to think about. Always happy to put up any Whitman guests if they can make it over here! Also cool to be on a continent that really appreciates its tennis, and in a country whose most well known person (by leaps and bounds) is a tennis player.

I hope all is well, and would love for you guys to make a European road trip. How about a meet up at Wimbledon or the French Open? How about a reunion over here. If not, I would really love a way to make it over for my 20th reunion in 2012, although I have a feeling the timing during the year won't be so great for me. Hope the season brings you much joy! Take care,

Ben Marcus

No comments: